Welcome

Welcome to All. This blog is a discussion site, looking at our lives through our experiences, our spiritual, and, not so spiritual lens, ....what our lives look like at The Front. We are and some would argue, always have been, in interesting times. Servants, past and present have been at constant struggle with whatever the issues of the day have been. Where do we even begin to name them: poverty, hunger, education, shelter, .... and did I mention poverty? Fifty-one years ago, President Lyndon Johnson declared war on poverty, a war by the way, we're still fighting. Then again, we've always been at war with poverty, and yet poverty has remained steadfast. Jesus apparently got it right: "The poor will always be with you." But Jesus was a smart man. Did he mean what we think? Does poverty always have to be with us. Let's talk about this, and whatever else, in real and truthful ways. Let's view our lives from The Front.
If you have come to help me, then you are wasting your time. If you have come because your liberation is linked to mine, then we will work together.
----(Anonymous) Australian Aborigine Activist

--mailto:--neilpitts@aol.com

Contemplative Action

The Rite of Initiation: You are going to die


A shocking statement. Perhaps. But the Franciscan Priest, Richard Rohr,,who has studied the Rite of Initiation has said the following::

"Every initiation rite I've studied had some ritual, dramatic, or theatrical way to experience crossing the threshold from life to death in symbolic form. Some ritual of death and resurrection was the centerpiece of all male initiation. It is probably why Jesus sought out and submitted to John the Baptist's offbeat death and rebirth ritual down by the riverside, when his own temple had become more concerned with purity codes than with transformation. It is probably why Jesus kept talking to his disciples, three times in Mark's Gospel, about the necessity of this death journey, and why three times they changed the subject (8:31-10:45). It is undoubtedly why Jesus finally stopped talking about it, and just did it, not ritually but actually. Death and resurrection, the paschal mystery, is the theme of every single Eucharist no matter what the feast or season. It takes us many seasons and even years to overcome our resistance to death.

"The transformational journey of death and resurrection is the only real message. It makes you indestructible. The real life, God's life, is running through you and in you already. But allowing it to flow freely doesn't come easily. When you do, the spiritual journey really begins. Up to that moment it is just religion. Everything up to then is creating the container, but you have not yet found the contents; you are creating the wineskins, as Jesus says, but you are not yet drinking the intoxicating wine."

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Y' see me now?

The face is the same. Creases, folds, softness, ruggedness, weathered, determined and certain. I'll let you pick them out.My Uncle Isaac, Uncle Griffin, My Dad and Me. I'm not sure what's behind those eyes, but I am sure that the genes are the same. Look at us, on the occasion of the first family reunion in Macon Georgia..  This is probably the only time the four of us were together. My Uncle Joe is missing as is aunt Sarah, but they had the same faces. So this is what I'm going to look like.  This is what they looked like. so many years ago, with pobably the same dreams and hopes for conquering.  Its almost 40 years since this picture was taken.  They're gone now. But they left me, my brothers, my cousins, and our families, and, our hopes and dreams. How do we honor them? How do we make sure those faces live forever?

I don't know the answers. I only know we kep seeking. We keep looking for their stories. What IS behind those eyes.  What is in those engineer brains... --All the Pitts men had technical brains... It was often said that they could tear apart anything and put it back together again.  I  knew that to be true

I didn';t know my Uncles well. But I knew their type: Strong. Defended. Wanting to proof themselves worthy. They were raised in a time that was difficult for Black Men, Particularly Black Men who suspected they had already conquered, but worked most of the time as if they hadn't.  They were raised by a strong father,.. a controlling, tall man.. a man who, by most accounts, commanded his children's respect,.... and fear.  But maybe it had to be that way. Maybe he knew that if he didn't make them fearful, then the world would. I can almost hear him saying in that southern drawl of his,.."Y'know ,..its tough out here,... Ya gotta be  a man, you gotta be strong.  Yes, I knew him too. He used to come to our house on Pacific Street in North Philadelphia, on a spring afternoon, sit in a big chair we had in the living room and tell story after story of growing up in the south, building railroads, building a life for him and his family.. He wanted to make sure we knew his stories well,, .so he'd always punctuate them with "Ya see me mow?,.. Ya see me now?" Yes, it was tough out there, and he wanted to make sure we knew it, and about his strength in overcoming,.. perhaps so that we would overcome too.

And so I'm left with these three men,, four, if you count Uncle Joe, who were raised by a tall, strong defiant man. And they were defiant and strong, too,...wanting us to follow in that strength and courage.  No, it hadn't been easy for them.. It was indeed tough out there. but maybe that's how we honor them! Maybe that's the message: To make sure we're defiant, strong and courageous as we meet adversity. Those carved lines and cheek folds are more than genetic, they're earned. But when I look closely, I also see gentleness in the eyes,... and for me, a combination of courage and defiance of heart, and gentlness of spirit is written all over those faces. They tell me its tough out there, but you can be gentle with the world, and, with yourself.  I understand.  "I see you now".

No comments:

Post a Comment