Welcome

Welcome to All. This blog is a discussion site, looking at our lives through our experiences, our spiritual, and, not so spiritual lens, ....what our lives look like at The Front. We are and some would argue, always have been, in interesting times. Servants, past and present have been at constant struggle with whatever the issues of the day have been. Where do we even begin to name them: poverty, hunger, education, shelter, .... and did I mention poverty? Fifty-one years ago, President Lyndon Johnson declared war on poverty, a war by the way, we're still fighting. Then again, we've always been at war with poverty, and yet poverty has remained steadfast. Jesus apparently got it right: "The poor will always be with you." But Jesus was a smart man. Did he mean what we think? Does poverty always have to be with us. Let's talk about this, and whatever else, in real and truthful ways. Let's view our lives from The Front.
If you have come to help me, then you are wasting your time. If you have come because your liberation is linked to mine, then we will work together.
----(Anonymous) Australian Aborigine Activist

--mailto:--neilpitts@aol.com

Contemplative Action

The Rite of Initiation: You are going to die


A shocking statement. Perhaps. But the Franciscan Priest, Richard Rohr,,who has studied the Rite of Initiation has said the following::

"Every initiation rite I've studied had some ritual, dramatic, or theatrical way to experience crossing the threshold from life to death in symbolic form. Some ritual of death and resurrection was the centerpiece of all male initiation. It is probably why Jesus sought out and submitted to John the Baptist's offbeat death and rebirth ritual down by the riverside, when his own temple had become more concerned with purity codes than with transformation. It is probably why Jesus kept talking to his disciples, three times in Mark's Gospel, about the necessity of this death journey, and why three times they changed the subject (8:31-10:45). It is undoubtedly why Jesus finally stopped talking about it, and just did it, not ritually but actually. Death and resurrection, the paschal mystery, is the theme of every single Eucharist no matter what the feast or season. It takes us many seasons and even years to overcome our resistance to death.

"The transformational journey of death and resurrection is the only real message. It makes you indestructible. The real life, God's life, is running through you and in you already. But allowing it to flow freely doesn't come easily. When you do, the spiritual journey really begins. Up to that moment it is just religion. Everything up to then is creating the container, but you have not yet found the contents; you are creating the wineskins, as Jesus says, but you are not yet drinking the intoxicating wine."

Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Element of Surprise

(On the occasion of my 70th Birthday Weekend)

I like to think I'm an unsuspecting, non-conspiratorial kind of guy,..floated along in life, had my successes, certainly had my failures, tried to be helpful where I could,.. you get the picture.  But through all of this tries to generally lay low and fade to the background....  But that just my lowly opinion,.. am I laying it on too think....  Pat, says I should just tell the truth, ..if I'm capable of that.  Truth is, ..as humble as I think I am, there's never a time when I'm not talking and I'm certainly very opinionated.....  To which I say, that in itself is a matter of opinion.

Any, Pat and I headed for Miami the past weekend, ... a little R an R,  .. to celebrate my 70th birthday.  She said I need ed to get out the winter doldrums,, certainly the truth, and away for the Northeastern gray skies of February.  Neil Jr. had agreed and off we went to spend some quality time with my eldest and his wife.  I knew there'd e some outside activity, it is Miami after all, and at some point we'd have dinner. And after 4 days, back to Philly. All of that proved to be true,... its just what happened between the lines got me off balance..... and, at the same time got me on balance,,, for the next 70 or so years. 

On Friday, I'm up, heading downstairs,  and playfully exclaim,.." Good Morning Family"...  no response,,.. didn't think too much of this, but then Neil's Mother-in-Law, Sheila Monroe comes into view as she rounds the bend of the 1st floor balcony.   Hugging her I say."Sheila,,...  I thought you had gone back to Philadelphia,, what a pleasant surprise" ,  and it indeed was. Note: she had been done to run the Miami 5K,.. as had Marcella's sister Rhonda Johnson, who just at that time materialized out the downstairs bedroom,....  " Rhonda,  I had no idea you were still in town,,.... What a pleat surprise,.., and again,.. it was indeed.  I was oblivious to the plot that was brewing,.. or, in fact had already been cooked and was about to be served.

An hour passes,.. the apartment door opens,  Pat: "Look who I ran into downstairs".   My youngest brother Isaac and his family was emerging from the door into the apartment.  For a split second, I actually thought she had just run into them on the streets of Miami.   Isaac, his grandchildren, Owen and Sophia and my niece, their mother, Bianca.  We hug and then, it occurred to me that they had planned to be there, invited by my cunning wife, Pat.  And I'm relatively speech, but absolutely beyond thrilled to see them.  But, I know that I'm in the presence of greatness.  A Mastermind was indeed at work and behind a master plot. By contract I'm really slow to catch on.

Isaac and I go out to lunch,... had a nice lunch at a restaurant around the corner from Neil and Marcella's apartment.  Two hours pass,,,,,, another sighting,...   this time Derrick and Linda.  This is no coincidental happenstance, and I'm dumbfounded, as well as speechless..  This is too much,  we laugh, my mind soars again, I sit down from laughter and exhaustion.   Can't get the smile off my face or the giggles out of my mind. Then I'm let in for the plan afoot for that evening: Two nights at an Air B 'n B with Isaac , Derrick and Linda and of course the Master mind (Pat).   I'm jumpy, nervous and waiting for another coincidental appearance, at this point..  Whose, next Julia and Robynn?,,.. Bob?  Ritah?....No one shows up,, I look out the apartment door to make sure.  No one's there,.. the coast is clear,.. this is the end of it.  I can relax,.. and I do, although a part of my mind is still on Cloud Nine.

Had a great dinner that night at the apartment, then headed for the Air B'n B, a few blocks away, sttle in, have a conversation, before bed, and marvel at the surprises that have unfolded that day.  Its been a full and awesome day,.. and I've been completely blown away.  I'm not one for surprises,... never know how to respond and always feel a bit awkward, but not so today. I'm so glad they've arranged these surprises for me,.. and everyone was in on it, I came to discover later on.

The next day we meet up at Neil and Marcella's apartment and head over to the local popular hangout Mall in Miami. Put in our coffee and danish orders,  arrange tables and chairs, and are ahvimng a real good time.  Lind and I are talking, she glances off to the side, then I glance to the side,,.....Robynn, Julia, Mara and Andrew standing there grinning, at how oblivious I was to the fact they had been standing there for the last 2 minutes. I didn't have a clue that they were going to be there,  had been planning to be there for close to be months, ... The Master plot had been brought to completion.  I was completely floored, that my family had driven to Miami, taken planes, had discussed showing up in Miami on my 70th Birthday for months.

The Element of Surprise. Author Julia Cameron once said, "Mystery is at the heart of creativity. That, and surprise."  This was a weekend of surprises for me, A weekend drenched in love, saturated with joy, and for me, manifest with lots and lots of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment